[LLVMdev] Google Summer of Code

Anna Zaks ganna at apple.com
Tue Mar 10 11:13:06 PDT 2015

> On Mar 10, 2015, at 1:03 AM, Vassil Vassilev <vvasilev at cern.ch> wrote:
>
> On 09/03/15 21:52, Anna Zaks wrote:
>>
>> +Easily, some of the code snippets end up being copied dozens of
>> +times, which leads to worse maintainability, understandability and logical
>> +design.
> Should be better now.
>>
>> The project description stresses code maintainability and logical design more than bug finding due to omissions in copy and pasted code. Reading this made me think of a check that would suggest people to replace copy and pasted code with a function call or something like that... Examples do stress the specific bugs that could be found, which is what I had in mind:
>>
>> +   Copy-paste infrastructure could be used to build other "goodies". Some
>> +examples and possible applications are:
>>
>> Is this intentional? If not, maybe we could rephrase a bit with more emphasis on bug finding. I would also make it a requirement to use the infrastructure for bug detection.
> Well, partially yes, I wanted to have the project description as broad as possible so that interested students to specialized in a direction, in which they are most comfortable. Because IMO the project is bigger than 1 usual GSoC project.
> I rephrased it to make it more focused towards bugs. Could you elaborate on the "I would also make it a requirement to use the infrastructure for bug detection.", please?

I would prefer not to have pure infrastructure, but rather develop infrastructure along with uses of it. Bug finding is one such use. That would allow to set clear goals for the students and allow for better qualification of the infrastructure.

(However, I see your point about making it open to students that are interested in using this infrastructure for other projects.)