[LLVMdev] Inspecting target-specific opcodes in machine function pass

Peter Edelstein peter.c.edelstein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 13:49:50 PDT 2015

Hello,

thank you very much for answering. I am trying to do the following: get the
encoding for each instruction and if that encoding contains a C3 byte,
insert a NOP instruction (or multiple NOP instructions, or any other
instructions) before that instruction. The idea behind this is to protect
against ROP (Return Oriented Programming) attacks. By inserting a NOP the
attacker can no longer abuse alignment to get a useful gadget. I thought a
machine function pass would be sufficient to accomplish this. However, now
I realize that this was probably a rather naive thought.

Can you think of any other approaches for achieving this?

Cheers.