[LLVMdev] ReduceLoadWidth, DAGCombiner and non 8bit loads/extloads question.

Ryan Taylor ryta1203 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 16:19:24 PST 2015

Thanks for the reply:

So should LLVM continue to assume 8-bit byte addressing? It would be nice,
not only to us but potential future machines, to have a permanent fix to
this assumption? This sounds reasonable yes?

Marking them as Custom in XXXISelLowering still produces error, the
pre-legalize phase is still going to opt to LD1 since it's not caring about
target-specifics. Then, again, we'll be stuck trying to undo the
addressing.

I see what you mean about the DAGCombiner, that's a two part solution,
first turning them into target-specific before any opts in pre-legalize and
then back before any opts in post-legalize. Certainly a potential solution,
though we may lose some optimization opportunities, even on valid loads, as
you mention.

The ultimate issue here, for us, is that LLVM makes the assumption that
every machine is going to support 8-bit byte-addressing. I'm not sure this
is a solid or even reasonable assumption going forward?

Possibly, we could just pseudo support it and expand it later, but the
addressing would still be an issue, I believe.

Thanks.