[LLVMdev] [RFC] Storing default function attributes on the module

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith dexonsmith at apple.com
Thu Mar 5 13:01:03 PST 2015

> On 2015 Feb 26, at 11:34, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 3:18 PM Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith <dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2015-Feb-24, at 13:25, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Duncan,
> >
> > Been thinking about this a bit and a few comments/questions. I may have misunderstood some things in your mail though so please feel free to explain at me :)
> >

> > Changing `clang` to store target defaults on the module will allow us to
> > continue to override them when running `llc`.  The right precedence
> > would be:
> >
> >   1. Explicit attributes set on the function.
> >   2. `llc` command-line options.
> >   3. Default function attributes stored on the module.
> >
> > (Outside of `llc`, skip step 2.)
> >
> > In `lib/Linker` (i.e., `llvm-lto`, `llvm-link`, `libLTO.dylib`),
> > defaults should be pushed down as explicit function attributes.
> >
> > I think there are a few options/backend communications that aren't/haven't gone this way yet that are probably worth considering:
> >
> > MCTargetOptions/TargetOptions: Basically a grab bag of functionality, some of which is duplicated via attributes and some that's not. I think at least some of these should be replaced by module flags, e.g. ABI.
> >
> > Random backend flags: Anything for debugging.
> >
> > I'm thinking things that are either set as Init(true/false) and affect things at a global level and not just the function level.
>
> (I think my lib/Linker comment was unclear.  See below.)
>
> Not at all trying to say that *everything* should be a function
> attribute; global-level stuff should absolutely be module flags.
>
> I'm just talking about infrastructure for the things that *are*
> function-level.
>

> > They look like this in assembly:
> >
> >     attributes default = { "no-frame-pointer-elim"="false" }
> >

> > So, how do you see module merging and defaults working? (Yes, there were testcases, but let's go with prose here. I found the testcases a bit hard to reason.)
>
> This is where my lib/Linker comment applies:
>
> >> In `lib/Linker` (i.e., `llvm-lto`, `llvm-link`, `libLTO.dylib`),
> >> defaults should be pushed down as explicit function attributes.
>
> ^ This is how I see module merging and defaults working: push the
> defaults down to explicit function attributes.  So there wouldn't
> be any default function attributes in the output of `llvm-link`.
> This means that `llc` will still have trouble overriding attributes
> in the output of merged modules -- but at least it can handle the
> output of `clang` without trouble.  In the future we could try to
> be more intelligent about merged modules, and keep common options
> in the default set.
>

> > Limitations
> > ===========
> >
> > There are a few limitations with this approach (at least, with my
> > reference implementation).

> [...]

I've done some more thinking about this.

 1. The module-level default attribute approach (what I started this
    thread with) cleans up assembly files and provides a clean hook for
    mutating the "defaults" from `llc`.  However, it doesn't cleanly fit
    into the current semantic model for attributes, so you get weird
    inconsistencies depending on how you query them.
 2. Flipping a bit to indicate whether something was the "default"
    solves the various technical problems.  However, overriding the
    attributes requires walking all of the IR to rewrite them, and the
    assembly syntax readability will get worse, not better.
 3. Using a separate tool allows you to override the attributes
    arbitrarily, but doesn't distinguish between "default" and explicit
    attributes.  Furthermore, if the primary use for the tool is:

        llvm-attr-mutate -o - t.bc -attr target-cpu=proc123 | llc

    then I'm not sure we're gaining anything.  In particular, having
    `llc` mutate the IR when you say:

        llc <t.bc -target-cpu=proc123

    is a far cleaner interface.  Not to say that a tool to mutate
    attributes isn't a great idea -- I think it might be -- just that
    it's not a great solution for *this* problem.
 4. Having `llc` mutate the IR itself -- the obvious solution, which
    Akira posted a patch for a few months ago -- does the job just as
    well as `llvm-attr-mutate` but with a much cleaner interface.  It
    fails to distinguish between target defaults and explicit
    attributes, but when combined with `llvm-extract`, it gives you full
    control over the codegen options for each function.

Remind me again why we don't just do #4?  It seems like the simplest way
to keep `llc` viable in the short term.