[LLVMdev] ReduceLoadWidth, DAGCombiner and non 8bit loads/extloads question.

Ahmed Bougacha ahmed.bougacha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 09:53:52 PST 2015

+Chandler, Hal, Owen, who - among others - know much more than I do.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Ryan Taylor <ryta1203 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) It's crashing because LD1 is produced due to LegalOperations=false in
> pre-legalize pass. Then Legalization does not know how to handle it so it
> asserts on a default case.

Yes, and where, and on what, does the assert fire?  8-bit load
legalization I assume?

> I don't know if it's a reasonable expectation or
> not but we do not have support for it. I have not tried overriding
> shouldReduceLoadWidth.
>
> 2) I see, that makes sense to some degree, I'm curious if you can provide an
> example? It doesn't seem good to generate something pre-legalize
> (target-independent) that you can't then handle when you find that it's
> illegal in the very next step that is legalization.

I believe the general idea is one of separation of concerns:  the way
I see it, the DAGCombiner's job is to canonicalize so that other
(perhaps target-specific) transformations only need to handle the
canonical representation.  Usually, that means optimizing code:  stuff
like e.g. (sub x, x) shouldn't be special-cased in each target (at
least not on ISD nodes ;))
The legalizer (or rather, the various legalizers) later does its own
job, legalizing, after which all code must be "legal".  The further
rounds of DAGCombining just maintain that invariant.

So really, this is a legalization problem:  for instance, is it not
possible for the SelectionDAGBuilder to generate 8-bit loads as well?
In this specific case, I'd rather we avoid the problem altogether, and
would be fine with not doing this kind of transform if the resulting
loads is illegal (and one might argue for the same in all the other
"!LegalOperations" combines).

But the actual solution seems to be with the load legalization:  I
wouldn't be surprised if many other spots assumed 8-bit loads are
legal (as you noticed after disabling ReduceLoadWidth?), and this is
your real problem.

Take this with a grain of salt though, I only ever look at
bog-standard X86-ish targets.  The cc'd people might have a better
argument.

-Ahmed