[LLVMdev] ReduceLoadWidth, DAGCombiner and non 8bit loads/extloads question.

Ahmed Bougacha ahmed.bougacha at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:08:36 PST 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Ryan Taylor <ryta1203 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious about this code in ReduceLoadWidth (and in DAGCombiner in
> general):
>
> if (LegalOperations && !TLI.isLoadExtLegal(ExtType, ExtVT))
>    return SDValue();
>
> LegalOperations is false for the first pre-legalize pass and true for the
> post-legalize pass. The first pass is target-independent yes? So that makes
> sense.
>
> The issue we are having is this: we don't support 8 bit loads and we don't
> support 8 bit extloads, so we end up with LD1 with zext after either the
> first pass or the second pass (depending on the test case). If we add the
> TargetLowering callback method setLoadExtAction(ISD::ZEXTLOAD, MVT::i8,
> Expand) then it crashes during legalization

This part is surprising.  What happens?  This seems to me like the
correct solution.

I'm guessing it's because there's no good way to legalize 8 bit loads?
 I have no idea what happens when those are illegal, as I'd expect
them to be always available?

Here's a cheap hack though: I see that ReduceLoadWidth is predicated on the
TLI "shouldReduceLoadWidth" hook.  Did you try overriding that to
avoid creating 8 bit loads?

> and if we don't have that in
> then it crashes during instruction selection.
>
> There are two ways to fix this:
>
> 1) Add the setLoadExtAction AND comment out 'LegalOperations &&' in the
> conditional. (this solves the problem)
>
> 2) Create a custom expand to undo the optimization added by ReduceLoadWidth.
>
> The 2nd approach seems more in line with what LLVM infrastructure wants but
> it seems silly to have to undo an optimization?
>
> Essentially, we have some bit packing structures and the code is trying to
> get the upper bits. The initial dag generates an LD2 with srl (which makes
> sense, it's what we want). The DAGCombiner then goes in and changes that LD2
> with srl to an LD1 zextload, which we don't support.
>
> Why is LegalOperations really needed here? What is the purpose and point of
> this? It seems you could eliminate this and be all the better for it.

FWIW I somewhat agree, and believe this is a common "problem":  we
eagerly generate obviously-illegal nodes, because we're before
legalisation, so it's OK, right?  Except, it's sometimes hard to
recover from.  Most of the time, it's a good thing, precisely because
it catches patterns that would be disturbed by legalization.

Did you try running the integration tests - at least X86 - after
changing the condition?

-Ahmed