[LLVMdev] Are global variables candiates for register allocation?

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Tue Jun 30 18:53:30 PDT 2015

This came up in the past for GHC, and we recommended passing it as a
parameter everywhere, as it lets the register allocator spill it under high
register pressure.

GCC has support for allocating globals in GPRs and removing that GPR from
the allocatable set, but LLVM doesn't implement it so far as I know.