[LLVMdev] Inferring dependencies in phi instructions

Evgeny Astigeevich evgeny.astigeevich at arm.com
Tue Jun 30 03:51:25 PDT 2015

Hi Anirudh,

I agree with Daniel. You can use the post-dominator tree.
In LLVM you can get it as follows:

getAnalysis<PostDominatorTree>()

Of course you must specify it in dependencies of your pass:

  void getAnalysisUsage(AnalysisUsage &AU) const override {
    ... // some code
    AU.addRequired<PostDominatorTree>();
   ... // some other code
  }

INITIALIZE_PASS_DEPENDENCY(PostDominatorTree)

To find all control dependencies the following simple algorithm can be used:

1. Consider all edges <X, Y> such that Y does not post-dominate X (X has more than one successor).
2. Traverse the post-dominator tree bottom-up:

B = Y
while (B != parent of X in PDT)
      B is control dependent on X
      B = parent of B in PDT

You can use the following algorithm to find all conditions a phi-function depends on:
1. For each incoming basic block, get all blocks it is control dependent on. Add the incoming block to the set if the parent of the phi-function is control dependent on it.
2. For each found block, get its terminator and find a condition the terminator uses.

Let's consider your example:

CFG:

          ---- Entry----
         |                      |
         v                      v
         2                      3
         |                      |
          --->  4  <----

PDT:

            ----4-----
          |       |     |
          v       v     v
          2       3    Entry

Edges of interest in CFG: <Entry, 2>, <Entry, 3> (<2, 4> and <3, 4> are not because 4 post-dominates 2 and 3.)
The parent of Entry in PDT is 4.
We have:
  - 2 is control dependent on Entry
  - 3 is control dependent on Entry
  - 4 is not control dependent on any basic block

The phi-function in 4 has incoming blocks: 2 and 3.
2 and 3 are control dependent on Entry. The terminator of entry uses %1. So the phi-function depends on %1. No other conditions are added as 2 and 3 have unconditional jumps.

Hope this gives you more understanding of the topic.

Kind regards,
Evgeny Astigeevich