[LLVMdev] [RFC] Improving the testing of exported LLVM CMake targets

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jun 29 07:16:51 PDT 2015

On 06/27/2015 04:17 AM, Dan Liew wrote:
> Second, the LLVM CMake files (LLVMConfig.cmake and LLVMExports.cmake)
> are not relocatable (they contain absolute paths which are based on
> the install prefix). So even if the first issue is fixed we still have
> the problem that a user cannot simply extract the binary tarball to an
> arbitrary location their system and build the toy project against it.

The files generated by the CMake build are completely relocatable
because they compute everything relative to the LLVMConfig.cmake
file location.  The Autoconf/Makefile build system would have to
be taught to do the same thing in the files it generates.  Take a
look at the CMake-generated files to see how they achieve it.

Thanks,
-Brad