[LLVMdev] Legalizing SelectionDAGs with illegal pointer type

David Siegel david.siegel at artcom.de
Sun Jun 28 08:59:00 PDT 2015

> On 27.06.2015, at 17:13, escha <escha at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently started helping with the LLVM AVR backend [1]. The AVR is an 8 bit core with pointer type i16. That makes pointers illegal in the SelectionDAG. As far as I understand it, it is the backends job to legalize these nodes by using the ReplaceNodeResults/LowerOperation callbacks. Is that about right?
>>
>> I have the feeling that the symbolic nodes carrying pointers, like FrameIndex are special and I have no idea how to properly legalize them. Is that even possible? Is it possible without modifying core LLVM? If it requires modifying core would that be a welcome contribution?
>>
>> One approach could be to build FrameIndex nodes with two result values instead of one, providing the pointer as a pair. Does that make sense? I think in a way it does since at least the AVR load/store instructions in fact use a register pair. Has anybody been down that road?
>
> This is a really interesting topic that I’m not sure anyone has quite satisfactorily solved yet. It would be great to have an in-tree LLVM backend with a non-legal pointer type so that solutions to these problems were more likely to happen!

Hm, yeah. I fear as long as there is no (good) way to write such a backend they are simply not tree-worthy. So it’s a bit like the chicken and the egg.

Let’s skin this cat another way. Like, I’m not totally opposed to telling LLVM about the register pair class. We just don’t want it to assume anything about available operations. Instead we want to manually opt-in for certain ops only. I had a quick stab at using the isTypeDesirableForOp(…) callback, making the pointer type... very undesirable. But I still got i16 operations all over the graph. So, one thing to do is to find out why that is not working as expected.

Another thing I noticed is that “Expand” internally has two meanings. Expand by splitting and expand by using other operators. This distinction is currently unreachable from the backend perspective. I have the feeling that most of the tools we need are already there. We just need a little more control…