[LLVMdev] Cross-Compiler Service provided by LLVM

Kun Ling lkun.erlv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 07:38:30 PDT 2015

Hi Chevounne,
     LLVM Infrastructure is mostly based on an source code and target
independent intermediate representation (LLVMIR) to do most of its
transformation. Usually the IR is stored in a file (.ll file).

     Different  front-end codes could all generate LLVMIR, so that LLVM
could then eat all such kind of IR, and process it. Depends on the
language, a bunch of runtime function call might be generated in LLVMIR.

     Following is some of the most important docs/papers about how it works
(In my opinion), Other guys in the community might have additional useful
other docs.
     1. LLVM Introuduction paper by Chris Lattner (CGO 2004)
http://llvm.org/pubs/2004-01-30-CGO-LLVM.pdf
     2. How OpenGL support works in LLVM (The "different frontend example)
by Chris Lattner.
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2006-August/006492.html
     3. The LLVM IR representation docs:
http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html