[LLVMdev] Out-of-source subclassses vs. LLVM's RTTI system

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 10:17:54 PDT 2015

Actually, I see an additional problem as well.  Even if I did manage to
create my own out-of-source subclass of DiagnosticInfoOptimizationBase,
there's still the question of how it would handle "Remark" severity.

To be consistent with the rest of the diagnostic classes, my
subclass's *isEnabled
*method should probably consult the *PassRemarksAnalysisOptLoc* object when
handling a message with severity = "remark".  Unfortunately the
*PassRemarksAnalysisOptLoc* object has static linkage, so my code can't
easily access it.

The only way I can think to query it is to creaet a throw-away instance of
some subclass of *DiagnosticInfoOptimizationBase*, and to provide that
dummy's constructor with the same pass name that was provided to my class's
constructor.  Then I could call that dummy instance's "isEnabled" method to
find out whether or not my own code should emit the message.

Unless someone has a cleaner way to do this, I think I'll just accept that
the DiagnosticInfo stuff isn't designed for my use case, and move on.