[LLVMdev] Out-of-source subclassses vs. LLVM's RTTI system

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:20:15 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Is there a good way to add out-of-LLVM-source subclasses, without modifying
the corresponding in-source "Kind" enumeration?

As I play around with writing an AA pass, I'd like a good way to issue
warnings for cases where my AA pass can't handle a particular IR
construct.  I was thinking to report those warnings via
*llvm::LLVMContext::diagnose(
const DiagnosticInfo & DI )*.  None of the existing subclasses of
*DiangosticInfo* seems quite appropriate for my needs, so I wanted to
create my own subclass, outside of the LLVM source.

So I'm stuck between (a) wanting all of my code to reside outside of the
LLVM source, and (b) being obligated (I think) to modify the
*DiagnosticKind* enum.

Thanks, Christian