[LLVMdev] ORC and relocations

Eugene Rozenfeld Eugene.Rozenfeld at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 24 00:03:08 PDT 2015

Hello,

I'm working on LLILC (a jit for the CoreCLR built on ORC), in particular, on using LLILC as an ngen jit. I would like to have an ability to be notified of relocations that ObjectLinkingLayer  is applying and to be able to tell the linking layer not to resolve certain relocations for external symbols (so that the client can do some custom resolutions later). The only way I found of looking at relocations in the client is via NotifyLoadedFtor notifications but I couldn't find a way of blocking a relocation resolution.

One way to achieve that is to change the Resolver::findSymbol api to allow clients to indicate that the relocations for the symbol shouldn't be resolved and update RuntimeDyldImpl::resolveExternalSymbols accordingly. Would this be a reasonable approach?

Thanks,

Eugene