[LLVMdev] APInt with uint64_t comparison

Paweł Bylica chfast at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 04:27:05 PDT 2015

Hi LLVM,

I have painfully found out that APInt comparison with uint64_t using
methods like .ult() is done with the precision of the APInt instance. The
uint64_t argument is usually silently truncated then. E.g. APInt{8,
1}.ult(256) is false.

I propose to change that and do the comparison with 64 bit precision. I
think it is much more useful as APInts representing the value of a constant
is often compared with the size of a type.

There are no unit tests for APInt comparisons. I've changed the
implementation locally and haven't spot any regressions.

If the proposal is accepted I will send the patch for review and do
self-hosted testing.

Cheers,
- Paweł