[LLVMdev] Build times on ARM

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Jun 16 23:26:42 PDT 2015

On 17 June 2015 at 04:29, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a even faster ARM dev board?

Hi Rafael,

That's as fast as ARMv7 will ever get, I believe. I'm using Chromebook
2's quad-A15+2GB and it's about the same speed. Qualcomm's IFC6410 are
meant to be as fast as Chr2s, but the kernel is currently not
scheduling frequency due to power management failure.

On the AArch64 side, Chris is right that the options are far better!
Cavium's offering may be fast, but are not available yet. And when
they do, they're going to be *very* expensive.

Junos are fast-ish, AMDs are faster but the APMs are the fastest
boards you can buy today, and you can run on AArch32 mode and build
ARMv7 binaries with it. Though, you'll have to shell out a couple
thousand dollars for it.

If this is for personal use, I'd stick to either the Chromebook2 or
the Snapdragon (or the NVidia). If you need a bit more oomph and
stability, APMs are the ones to go.

cheers,
--renato

Ref:

IFC 6410 - ARMv7 Quad-Krait 2GB
http://www.inforcecomputing.com/products/single-board-computers/6410-single-board-computer-sbc
Available, $150
(*) Kernel needs fixing, hopefully soon (months)

Chromebook2 - ARMv7 Quad-Exynos5 2GB
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/chrome-os-devices/XE503C32-K01US
Available, $380

ARM Juno - AArch64 Hexa-A53/A57 up-to 8GB
http://www.arm.com/products/tools/development-boards/versatile-express/juno-arm-development-platform.php
Hard to get, $100s to $1000s

APM X-Gene - AArch64 Octa-A57, lots of RAM
https://www.apm.com/products/data-center/x-gene-family/x-gene/
Hard to get, $100s to $1000s

AMD Seattle - AArch64 Quad~Octa, lots of RAM
http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/64-bit-developer-kit-2014jul30.aspx
Not available, likely many $1000s

Cavium Thunder-X - AArch64 48/96 cores, lots of RAM
http://www.cavium.com/ThunderX_ARM_Processors.html
Not available, likely many many $1000s