[LLVMdev] alias set collapse and LICM

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Fri Jun 12 16:14:01 PDT 2015

> [...]
>
> I came across this issue again this week and ended up implementing a much less principled fix in our local tree.  For sufficiently small loops, we now resort to pair wise modref checks if AST reports a possible clobber.  In several test cases I looked at, the precise aliasing was sufficient to enable LICM sufficient for us to recognize vectorizable loops which were otherwise getting missed. As you can imagine, that's a major performance win on those benchmarks.
>
> For upstream, I now know of four possible implementation strategies:
>
> Option 1 - Resort to pairwise modref queries for sufficiently small loops.  This has the advantage of being already implemented and easy to upstream, but would introduce a capped N^2 algorithm and thus a performance cliff.  It might be worth upstreaming this with the threshold defaulted to 0 (i.e. nop) just as a testing mechanism for identifying places AST's imprecision is hurting us.
>
> Option 2 - As a variant of option 1, we can keep track of potentially clobbering instructions seen during a single walk of the loop.  With this, the above N^2 algorithm becomes #L*#S, and we can easily bound the maximum number of clobbering instructions we track.  I think this is actually a reasonable compromise and is worth considering.  This gives us fully precise aliasing for most loops within LICM at reasonable cost.
>
> Option 3 - We can track readonly calls separately within AST.  This wouldn't change the inherent purpose of AST (i.e. it would still be about transitive aliasing), but would enable more precise results in the specific case we care about.  This only helps the readonly call case and does not help with general aliasing collapse issue.  It also requires every consumer of the AST interface to be updated to explicit check the "alias all" set.  (Note: This could help other "unknown instruction" cases as well as readonly calls.  It just doesn't solve the imprecise aliasing transitivity for known instructions.)
>
> Option 4 - We can split AST into two sets of alias sets.  One set of set is based on aliasing ref behaviour, the other on mod behaviour. The rules for adding to the first set of sets are the existing AST rules.  A load would only be added to an mod based set if a store within the set aliased it directly.  We would still merge all of sets that a load belong to.  The difference is that a load would not be considered to belong to a set unless a store within that set aliases it, not just another load.  With LICM, we'd use the mod-set for hoisting of loads, and the ref-set for sinking of stores.  This is a fairly involved change.
>
> My mild preference would be for option 2, followed by 4, then 1, then 3.  What do others think?  I'm willing to implement any of 1, 2, and likely 3.  Option 4 is likely more work than I can commit to given that the symptom biting me is now fixed locally.

Makes sense to me. I think Option 3 is also more work than anyone wants to take on. I suggested it because what you’re calling a special case is really the common and interesting case, and intuitively AST is almost useless at tracking reads without handling unknown readers. But looking at where AST is used, I don’t think it makes sense for it to track reads anyway.

For sinking, I think you could give up on the pairwise alias check after the first unsuccessful attempt in each AliasSet (tracking mods only) without losing useful precision.

Andy