[LLVMdev] Prevent instruction selection from clobbering an implicit data dependence through flags?

Johnson, Nicholas Paul Nicholas.Paul.Johnson at DEShawResearch.com
Fri Jun 12 08:18:23 PDT 2015

Thanks, Hal, for the quick reply.

From: Hal Finkel
>You'll need to mark your intrinsics that write to the flags
>register as writing to memory, and those that read from the register as
>reading from memory. Not the best solution possible, but it will work.

I see how marking the intrinsics as IntrMem and IntrReadMem would prevent the scheduler from re-ordering these instructions before and during selection.

However with respect to my example, it's not clear how this would prevent the selector from choosing the 'negadd' instruction and thereby clobbering the flags.

>might also add logic in BasicAA, etc. to eliminate unnecessary MayAlias
>decisions (much like how @llvm.assume is handled).

A very good point! Thanks,

Nick Johnson
D. E. Shaw Research