[LLVMdev] LLD use cases and design meeting and discussion

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Sat Jun 6 13:22:25 PDT 2015

> On Jun 6, 2015, at 05:25 , Shankar Easwaram <shankarke at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Interested features / use cases:

I have a tiny bit of input, but I'm not sure this is the right discussion for it, so ignore me if it is not. Is LLD responsible for producing the final executable file, in whatever format (ELF, Mach-O, dylib, etc.)?

If so, one use I have is to produce "raw" executables. That is, I want to produce a file of bytes suitable for directly flashing onto tiny MCUs that execute code starting at the first byte in their flash.

It may be this request is for such a fundamental feature that it's pedantic to request it, and if so, please ignore me. But this seems to be a missing link in clang/LLVM that was only filled with binutils. Will I be able to get away from binutils altogether with LLD? Perhaps I already can today?

Thanks,

--
Rick Mann
rmann at latencyzero.com