[LLVMdev] Supporting heterogeneous computing in llvm, follow up.

Christos Margiolas chrmargiolas at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 03:42:09 PDT 2015

Hello,

As I first e-mailed yesterday, I have been working on a Heterogeneous
Execution Engine (Hexe) that provides compiler and runtime support for the
automatic and transparent offloading of loop and function workloads to
accelerators.

Hexe is composed of the following:
a) Analysis and Transformation Passes for extracting loops or functions for
offloading.
b) A runtime library that handles scheduling, data sharing and coherency
between the
host and accelerator sides.
c) A modular codebase and design. Adaptors specialize the code
transformations for the target accelerators. Runtime plugins manage the
interaction with the different accelerator environments.

I have prepared a presentation that I would like to share. It provides a
high level overview of the work. You can find it here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5GasMlWJhTOb2tXTDZsal9qclE/view?usp=sharing

In the next days I will push patches on phabricator, so people can give
detailed feedback on the code and design. This may also help with coming up
strategies on what needs to be done or changed.

Regards
Chris