[LLVMdev] Removing AvailableExternal values in GlobalDCE (was Re: RFC: ThinLTO Impementation Plan)

Teresa Johnson tejohnson at google.com
Thu Jun 4 07:10:58 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith
<dexonsmith at apple.com> wrote:

>> On 2015-Jun-03, at 09:56, Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You might well be right - I know next to nothing about these things. Having
>>> someone a double-check/review from someone more familiar would be nice.
>>>
>>> I'll leave the rest of the review to any such someone who might be
>>> sufficiently informed about the pass pipeline to decide whether this is the
>>> right call. (and/or perf numbers that demonstrate it)
>>>
>>> Hopefully my naive review has at least covered the basics.
>>
>> I just did some SPEC cpu2006 performance testing with this change, at
>> -O2 both with and without LTO. There were no measurable performance
>> differences. In fact, the final binaries were largely identical
>> (always the same size before and after, generated code looks
>> identical, slight differences in label naming are the only differences
>> in the nm and objdump output for a couple benchmarks - most are
>> totally identical).
>>
>> Can someone take a look at the patch and approve if possible? While
>> currently this doesn't affect large numbers of functions, with ThinLTO
>> we want to avoid keeping around the larger numbers of
>> available-externally imported objects unnecessarily. This change
>> avoids the need of special casing here for ThinLTO imported
>> functions/variables.
>
> I'd be interested in performance of a clang bootstrap or of Chromium (or
> some other large C++ program built with -flto).
>
> Moreover, I suspect this will cause a problem for full LTO, where a lot
> of inlining takes place at link time.  There have even been proposals
> (but no one has collected any data to share yet) to run just the
> always-inliner at compile time, deferring almost all inlining until
> later.

Note that one of the sets of SPEC cpu2006 data I collected was with
full LTO. I'm trying to understand where this would be an issue for
full LTO, since GlobalDCE is running after inlining in the link time
LTO pipeline.

Just to be clear, are you concerned about the following:

1) GlobalDCE run after inlining in the "-flto -O2 -c" build removes an
unreferenced available externally function
2) LTO link step would have inlined that available externally function
somewhere (must be a different module since it was unreferenced in
step 1) but now can't

I'm not sure when 2) can happen since it had to be unreferenced in its
module to be removed with my changes. For an available externally
function, any reference from a different module would have needed its
own copy to start with (at least that is the case with C inline
functions). It looks like available externally C inline functions are
already removed when unreferenced by the compile step (e.g. when
inlined into that module's references during the "-flto -O2 -c"
compile).

> But if we can have different pass pipelines for "normal" vs. "LTO"
> compiles, then "ThinLTO" can have its own pass pipeline as well.  Seems
> like it already needs one.  Why not add a late pass there to drop
> available_externally functions?

Sure that's possible, but I am trying to understand what circumstance
there is where a full LTO would need to keep around available
externally functions after GlobalDCE where ThinLTO wouldn't.
Presumably if they are useful for optimization after GlobalDCE then we
would want to keep them around longer for ThinLTO as well. I just
haven't identified any need to do so.

Thanks,
Teresa

--