[LLVMdev] LLVM Weekly - #74, Jun 1st 2015

Aaron Ballman aaron at aaronballman.com
Mon Jun 1 06:40:06 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:
> [...]
> approach](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/86333).
>
> * Hans Wennborg has shared a [preliminary release plan for LLVM/Clang
> 3.7](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.clang.devel/42972). This
> would see the codebase branched on the 14th of July with a release target of
> the end of August. Tom Stellard has also shared a [schedule for the 3.6.2
> release](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/86175). The
> deadline for patches is June 15 with the release date targeted for June 29th.
>
> * Teresa Johnson has posted an [updated RFC of her ThinLTO implementation
> plan](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/86282). There
> are still concerns about the wrapping of LLVM bitcode in ELF. Alex Rosenberg
> suggests [implementing an objcopy replacement for LLVM and extending bitcode
> as necessary](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/86313)
> as an alternative approach.
>
> * Chris Bieneman has posted a [status update on the quest to replace the
> autoconf build system with
> CMake](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/86248).
>
> * Quentin Colombet is [seeking benchmark
> reports](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/86222) (or
> indeed bugs!) for the recently added 'shrink wrapping'.
>
> * Matthias Braun has left a quick note for maintainers of out-of-tree targets
> that [pristine register semantics have been modified
> slightly](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/86291).
>
> * Chandler Carruth has posted some thoughts on [next steps for loop unrolling
> analysis](http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel/86137).
>

> ## LLVM commits
>
> * Codegen for memcpy on Thumb2 has been improved to make use of load/store
> multiple (more details of how this works in the commit message, worth a read
> for those interested). [r238473](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL238473).
>
> * Popcount on x86 will now be implemented using a [lookup table in register
> technique](http://wm.ite.pl/articles/sse-popcount.html).
> [r238636](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL238636),
> [r238652](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL238652).
>
> * Work continues on reducing peak memory usage through optimisations to debug
> info. [r238364](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL238364).
>
> * Initial support for the `convergent` attribute has landed.
> [r238264](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL238264).
>
> * The documentation about the current state of LLVM's Phabricator has been
> updated along with a call for volunteers to help develop necessary
> improvements and modifications to Phabricator's PHP codebase.
> [r238295](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL238295).
>
> * MCJIT gained support for MIPS64r2 and MIPS64r6.
> [r238424](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL238424).
>

> ## Clang commits
>
> * Clang's handling of `-fopenmp` has been rewritten.
> [r238389](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL235111).
>
> * The user documentation on profiling has been extended.

Another Clang commit that should be called out specifically is that
__declspec is no longer treated as a core language extension by Clang,
but instead requires -fms-extensions or -fborland to be passed to
enable support for it. Support for __declspec is also enabled when
compiling CUDA code, but as a stopgap compatibility measure because
some of the CUDA headers are relying on it.
[r238238](http://reviews.llvm.org/rL238238).

~Aaron