[LLVMdev] Bi-Endian Compiler

Herbie Robinson HerbieRobinson at verizon.net
Thu Jul 30 10:15:22 PDT 2015

I have been quietly working on a port of LLVM to Stratus VOS.  The OS is
always big endian (because customers need to migrate data to new
hardware quickly and can't afford to convert).  This entails presenting
a big endian programming model no matter what the hardware does.  We did
this about 15 years ago with the Stratus compilers and GCC.  We offered
the GCC changes back to the community, but the GCC folks declined to
take them...

In my copious spare time, I've already written (but not debugged) an
LLVM pass that reverses the endianess of the underlying processor.  The
LLVM IR is actually quite good for this.  Believe it or not, the hard
part is actually dealing with initialization!

I am leaving on vacation as soon as my GPS maps get updated; so, I don't
have time to read your paper, now.  I will look at it when I get back.
Perhaps we can collaborate.  If nothing else, I participated
peripherally in the Stratus implementation.  I would like to say a lot
more, but I need to hit the road...