[LLVMdev] Request: Changing commit message in llvm trunk

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:01:29 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Martell Malone <martellmalone at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to change a commit message that became malformed when pushing
> to trunk
>
> svn propedit svn:log --revprop -r 243434
>> svn: E175002: DAV request failed; it's possible that the repository's
>> pre-revprop-change hook either failed or is non-existent
>> svn: E175002: Repository has not been enabled to accept revision
>> propchanges;
>> ask the administrator to create a pre-revprop-change hook
>>

> As described here commit messages are not versioned on svn
> Would it be possible to get a hook made for this
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/692851/can-i-go-back-and-edit-comments-on-an-svn-checkin
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__stackoverflow.com_questions_692851_can-2Di-2Dgo-2Dback-2Dand-2Dedit-2Dcomments-2Don-2Dan-2Dsvn-2Dcheckin&d=AwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=Mfk2qtn1LTDThVkh6-oGglNfMADXfJdty4_bhmuhMHA&m=rA66OwhKyNgAo35v-7-yD5YmsmgWkfGpODyqFgA-Sug&s=H-gYErVjtF74kkPHv-DrcBVKhP0r9SkTIbUmUyHW0u0&e=>
>
> It could be very useful for 3 reason.
>
> 1.
> Currently if someone makes a commit and does not have it is not
> automatically closed by phabracator by adding
> Differential Revision: http://reviews.llvm.org/DXXXXX
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__reviews.llvm.org_D11511&d=AwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=Mfk2qtn1LTDThVkh6-oGglNfMADXfJdty4_bhmuhMHA&m=rA66OwhKyNgAo35v-7-yD5YmsmgWkfGpODyqFgA-Sug&s=MO-ifc5cGb5v_ThESxcVSdiZCzBphnRq2W57Z6Wgd1M&e=>
> at the end of their commit
> The committer then often has to go back and manually enter a message to
> tell someone that their patch has landed
>
> With a hook for this it would be easy to update the message invoking
> phabracator to now close the revision as it has landed.
>
> we could even quite easily create a script for this for any committer to
> use to speed up the process, example here is a script called landed
>
> landed D11511 r243434

Probably easier to have Phab just monitor the post-commit review thread on
the mailing list.

> 2.
> If a patch is reverted at some point because it is broken.
> It would be nice to be able to edit the commit message in rXXX to tell the
> reader that the commit was reverted in rYYY and reapplied with a fix in rZZZ

Usually we chime in on the post-commit thread saying "btw, reverted in
rXXXXXX".

> 3.
> If you have a pesky typo in your commit like I have :)

I don't think anybody really cares very much about typos in the commit
history, as long as they are clarified in the post-commit thread (just like
if the code has a problem or whatever).

-- Sean Silva