[LLVMdev] Request: Changing commit message in llvm trunk

Martell Malone martellmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 10:42:27 PDT 2015

Hi

I'm trying to change a commit message that became malformed when pushing to
trunk

svn propedit svn:log --revprop -r 243434
> svn: E175002: DAV request failed; it's possible that the repository's
> pre-revprop-change hook either failed or is non-existent
> svn: E175002: Repository has not been enabled to accept revision
> propchanges;
> ask the administrator to create a pre-revprop-change hook

As described here commit messages are not versioned on svn
Would it be possible to get a hook made for this
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/692851/can-i-go-back-and-edit-comments-on-an-svn-checkin

It could be very useful for 3 reason.

1.
Currently if someone makes a commit and does not have it is not
automatically closed by phabracator by adding
Differential Revision: http://reviews.llvm.org/DXXXXX
<http://reviews.llvm.org/D11511>
at the end of their commit
The committer then often has to go back and manually enter a message to
tell someone that their patch has landed

With a hook for this it would be easy to update the message invoking
phabracator to now close the revision as it has landed.

we could even quite easily create a script for this for any committer to
use to speed up the process, example here is a script called landed

landed D11511 r243434

2.
If a patch is reverted at some point because it is broken.
It would be nice to be able to edit the commit message in rXXX to tell the
reader that the commit was reverted in rYYY and reapplied with a fix in rZZZ

3.
If you have a pesky typo in your commit like I have :)

I'm sure the hook could be made so that only an author can edit their own
commit message or an admin that can.

Kind Regards
Martell