[LLVMdev] [LLD] support for dlltool generated libs in COFF/PECOFF

Rui Ueyama ruiu at google.com
Sat Jul 25 17:36:55 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Martell Malone <martellmalone at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's doable to support dlltool-style import libraries by LLD. .idata
>> sections in dlltool-style libraries are designed so that they will
>> naturally construct the import descriptor table by just sorting them by
>> section name. Supporting them is not hard.
>

> I don't really know my way around the code base of COFF well enough todo
> this myself.
> If you can point me in the right direction as to what functions/sources to
> be looking at I think I can come up with a patch.
> If you think you can do it fairly easily I can also create a test case for
> you if you want ?

If it's not urgent, I can take a look after finishing up x86 COFF port and
fixing up remaining x64 bugs.

One thing we need to do is that currently we construct the import
>> descriptor directly from short import libraries. We don't create
>> intermediate .idata$X sections from short import libraries. That means we
>> cannot mix dlltool-style and short import libraries at this moment. We need
>> to do something for that. Except that, supporting dlltool-style libraries
>> should be straightforward.
>

> This is a very unique scenario and I don't know of any tool that generates
> both styles of libraries.
> I can create one if we need it for a test case but I think this would be
> overkill :)

This is not actually very unique but rather common because you usually
always want to link against kernel32.lib which contains short import
libraries.