[LLVMdev] [LLD] support for dlltool generated libs in COFF/PECOFF

Martell Malone martellmalone at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 03:17:13 PDT 2015

Hey guys,

So I was able to modify dlltool to produce the exact same layout as lib.exe
with the same section numbers etc.
I've first managed to first create the correct section so that lld gives me
link errors and then resolve those errors to create an exe.

This is one thing that is still missing that sticks out like a sore thumb
In the actual imports of the functions the objects are very different

As you can see lib.exe generates a very simple function import object.

  IMPORT_OBJECT[1-N]
    -> contains an IMPORT_OBJECT_HEADER and DATA
    data example -> _MessageBoxA.USER32.dll

dlltool however doesn't create an import object but infact has a complete
IMAGE_FILE

  IMPORT_OBJECT[1-N]
    -> contains an IMAGE_FILE_HEADER and is a full object with SECTIONS
    the .text section has the stub code.
    the .idata$6 section has the name of the function
    it starts with 0x01 0x4D then MessageBoxA without an underscore
    The dll is not referenced and is assumed to be the one listed in the
first object in .idata$6

This is where the actual problem lies because the dll functions never get
resolved
Have you guys got any thoughts on weither we should support this or not
within lld and if so how ?

There are some interesting things here
For example the gnu linker provides the section with the stub code and the
offset for injection.
Should we be using the stub code provided in the text section or should we
just ignore it and use the one in lld
They are the same anyway but its just interesting how the dlltool version
gives us that option.

Kind Regards
Martell