[LLVMdev] Using thin archives when building llvm

Rui Ueyama ruiu at google.com
Wed Jul 22 17:09:11 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I was able to get this to work on windows by using
> >
> > -DCMAKE_STATIC_LINKER_FLAGS=/llvmlibthin
>
> And with r242926 it looks like the new lld just works with thin
> archives on windows :-)

Cool!

So the thin archive is a divergence from the standard ar file (although
it's compatible with GNU). Is there any room to push it further? Last time
I ran the linker with profiling enabled, it spends a good amount of time
just to find the terminating nul character in the archive file symbol
table. If we store string length for each symbol, the linker can read
archive files faster.