[LLVMdev] [RFC] Defining Infinite Loops

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Jul 21 19:04:56 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

This does indeed sound like a good idea if we use metadata like this.

> Another way of phrasing my suggestion is that any infinite "loop"
> that
> does not do (IO / volatile memory access / atomic operations) has to
> have at least one non-productive control transfer.  A "loop" in this
> definition has to be general enough to encompass all possible control
> flow transfer mechanisms (so mutual recursion will have to count as
> "loop"ing, for whatever definition we come up for a loop).
>
> The only thing that bugs me about this notion of "productivity" (both
> your idea and mine) is that, going by the Java spec, it isn't that a
> thread stalled in an infinite loop is not performing any actions; but
> the stalling is itself an "external" action (similar to writing to a
> socket or program termination).  It would be nice if it were possible
> to precisely capture that.

I think the problem is that this depends on the definition of your abstract machine. In Java, if you have a Thread you can query its state: it is observable whether it is still running or not. Many languages don't have abstract machines that contain such a notion, and so a thread not performing productive actions is indistinguishable from a thread not running at all. I think that, in terms of defining LLVM, we probably need to stick closer to this latter vantage point.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist