[LLVMdev] Some thought on handling ELF shared libraries in lld

Dave Bozier seifsta at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 06:34:08 PDT 2015

Sounds reasonable. The sstrip tool that performs stripping of the
section header does state that this makes shared libraries unsuitable
for static linking. From the documentation:

> A shared-object library stripped in this fashion will still be usable by the dynamic linker, but not by the static linker.

That said, it should be technically possible to statically link a
shared library with no section header table if we chose to support
that use case. Can't you use the symbol indices of dynamic relocations
to achieve this instead of counting the number of symbols?