[LLVMdev] how to transform elf binary to llvm IR?

Mayur Pandey mayurthebond at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 12:56:28 PDT 2015

Hi mudongliang,

I have tried using mcsema tool on x86_64 binaries. It works well for small
programs. One large project I am trying now and was getting an error.
Trying to resolve the same.

To use mcsema, you have two main tools:
bin_descend : to get the cfg (in google protocol buffer format) from binary
cfg_to_bc : to convert the cfg created in the earlier step to LLVM IR.

You can tell me what is the problem that you were facing while using this
tool. I might be able to help.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 10:19 AM, 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd at gmail.com> wrote:

> What we want to do is to transform binary(binary with symbolic
> information) to llvm IR in static way.
> I will instrument code in the llvm IR.
> The compiler may be llvm clang.

>> This is not a easy task. And I believe there is *NO* (open-source) tool
>> can fully solve this problem (statically). Correct me if I was wrong.
>>
>> It would be more helpful if you can provide details about what you want
>> to do, say, static or dynamic ? stripped binary or binary with symbolic
>> information?
>> What compiler do you work on?
>>
>> Check out  papers below if you are interested.
>>
>> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2465380
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dl.acm.org_citation.cfm-3Fid-3D2465380&d=AwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=Mfk2qtn1LTDThVkh6-oGglNfMADXfJdty4_bhmuhMHA&m=XLcTLdyZ3w-yfUnVElhvuW0zGLWDNnYrFXLa-_r1g-I&s=IKFmONSMJvSndNnQXRlRNwxVVMEItkZ3-XOUUulVWjg&e=>
>>
>> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2462165
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__dl.acm.org_citation.cfm-3Fid-3D2462165&d=AwMFaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=Mfk2qtn1LTDThVkh6-oGglNfMADXfJdty4_bhmuhMHA&m=XLcTLdyZ3w-yfUnVElhvuW0zGLWDNnYrFXLa-_r1g-I&s=2lzOXpncGNdJc_eniOTiPaaP0bz9w5DGp7gAZXfxy3o&e=>
>>

>> Shuai
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 3:09 AM, 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to transform elf binary to llvm IR, and do some instrumentation
>>> based on llvm.
>>> Is there any tool which can do the transformation?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>     - mudongliang

Thanx & Regards
*Mayur Pandey *