[LLVMdev] [RFC] Developer Policy for LLVM C API

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sat Jul 18 11:27:19 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

I agree. From my viewpoint we have two primary problems with the C API:

 1. Many of the LLVM contributors don't use it, and thus, don't have a great understanding of how it can be most-usefully updated/improved, and what functionality needs to be exposed. We have most, but not all, transformations; many, but not all, IR features, etc.

 2. We don't have a good set of tests for it, nor do we have a good set of tutorials/documentation for it. Our tutorials, specifically, are in C++, not in C. We could break the C API and we'd likely remain unaware for quite awhile.

Putting it in a separate project will force those who have a stake in its existence to take the responsibility of moving it forward. Separate project, or not, however, we should have a better developer policy regarding the C API (and the other bindings) that fall under the LLVM umbrella. Specifically, we should outline what features need to be exposed, and we should actively maintain (and test for) full coverage of those features.

 -Hal