[LLVMdev] How can i differentiate pointer type int 32* from int 32** ?

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 07:54:11 PDT 2015

On 7/17/15 8:32 PM, Shen Liu wrote:
> John, thanks for your helpful advice.
>
> My ultimate goal is to construct a full instruction-level program
> dependence graph for a given IR file. The hard point is how to
> establish the correct data dependence edges when some function
> arguments are multi-level pointers. To solve this problem I hope to
> check the point-to level for each pointer variable. I think the data
> dependence through pointers can be described more accurately in this
> way. Unfortunately i didn't find any available interface to finish
> this job, so i guess i have to write it by myself.

It sounds like you need a shape graph.  DSA can provide that, and it
currently works with LLVM mainline.  You can find it in the poolalloc
module (svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/poolalloc/trunk
poolalloc) or a slightly older version on my Github page
(https://github.com/jtcriswell/llvm-dsa).  Please note that the version
from LLVM SVN will only compile lib/DSA.  I don't think anyone has
brought lib/PoolAllocate up to date.

There is documentation which gives a very basic overview of the DSA
passes and how to use the shape graph.

The open question is whether DSA will be sufficiently accurate for your
needs.  Of that, I'm not sure.  You would need to try it out and see if
it's sufficient accurate for you.

Regards,

John Criswell