[LLVMdev] [RFC] Developer Policy for LLVM C API

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Fri Jul 17 17:59:21 PDT 2015

This is interesting. If we did this, the same would apply to the other language bindings, too, yes? We’d end up with a few different mini-projects (or possibly just one w/ a configurable build system).

It would also set the stage for, potentially, multiple sets of bindings. As Eric points out, one size doesn’t always fit all, and our current path of trying to find some sort of happy medium may not be the best. This would allow us to have one, or more, binding set which map to different use cases appropriately.

So long as we set things up in a way that makes it easy to configure both a unified and discrete (in tree vs. using a “make install” artifact) build, had good bot coverage, etc, etc, I think this could work really well.

That said, it’s also a bit of a derail from and most orthogonal to Juergen’s main topic. Perhaps we should split this off to a different thread?

-Jim