[LLVMdev] 2-address and 3-address instructions

Steve King steve at metrokings.com
Fri Jul 17 14:03:03 PDT 2015

My target had the same circumstance.  I found it easiest to stick with
3 operand instructions, which is LLVM's native representation anyway.
You can do late conversion of SRC=DST opportunities to the compact two
operand form as a post-RA peephole.  Deferring conversion like this
reduces the variety of instructions you have to contend with in switch
statements and so on.

If you also want your assembler to convert SRC=DST opportunities to
the compact encoding, you can accomplish that in your AsmParser.
Regards,
-steve