[LLVMdev] how to transform elf binary to llvm IR?

John Criswell jtcriswel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 08:41:29 PDT 2015

On 7/17/15 2:09 AM, 慕冬亮 wrote:
> I want to transform elf binary to llvm IR, and do some instrumentation
> based on llvm.
> Is there any tool which can do the transformation?

There is a tool called Revgen which might do what you need, though I
don't know if it meets your needs.  Revgen can translate native code to
LLVM IR, but I'm not sure if it can translate the LLVM IR back to native
code for execution.

There is also s2e which does dynamic translation from binary code to
LLVM IR; it should be able to run the code after instrumentation.

IIRC, both come from George Candea's group at EPFL.  A quick Google
search should help you find the code.

Regards,

John Criswell

> Thanks in advance.
>     - mudongliang

John Criswell
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/criswell