[LLVMdev] Updated RFC: ThinLTO Implementation Plan

Teresa Johnson tejohnson at google.com
Thu Jul 16 07:03:23 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Quick question: Is the word required to support ThinLTO using llvm's
> native tools orthogonal to that required to supporting non-llvm tools?  If
> not, would it make sense to start with a deployment of entirely LLVM based
> tools - since there seems to be general interest in that - and then come
> back to the non-llvm based tools separately?
> >
> > Personally, I see both sides here.  I can understand why you want to
> minimize build configuration changes - they tend to be painful - but I also
> am reluctant to design a major enhancement to LLVM under the assumption
> that LLVM's own tools aren't adequate for the purpose. That seems like it
> would be majorly problematic from the perspective of the project as a whole.
> >
> > (I realize that LLVM's tools could simply extract the bitcode out of the
> wrapper file, but that seems unnecessarily complex for an *initial* LLVM
> only solution.)
> >

> Really late on this thread,  but I wanted to second Philip's position:
> wrapped bitcode can be interesting and we should consider it, but a bitcode
> only solution should probably come first.
>
> The things thin lto seems to need are generally desirable bitcode
> features: easy to read symbol table, ability to read a single function, etc.

Sorry for the late reply, this came in the midst of some summer vacations
last month. I've come up with some data structures and interfaces that are
independent of the underlying file format, which should make the
implementation in each format easier and the implementation order less
critical hopefully. I will send that out later when it is fully spec'd.

I've been focusing more on the symbol linkage and renaming specification,
which I emailed out to the list a couple days ago, since that is
fundamental to the ThinLTO design.

Thanks,
Teresa

Cheers,