[LLVMdev] LICM for function calls

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Jul 15 19:05:32 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----

Yes and no. Our readnone is meant to be modeled on GCC's 'pure' attribute, and as documented (https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Common-Function-Attributes.html#Common-Function-Attributes) cannot be applied to functions containing infinite loops. It says specifically, "Interesting non-pure functions are functions with infinite loops or those depending on volatile memory or ..."

And so, no, readnone functions must return normally in a finite period of time.

However, we also have a long-standing issue here, in that, the FunctionAttrs transformation will add readnone to functions that don't have side effects, regardless of whether or not they potentially have infinite loops. This is not wrong for C/C++, etc. where we get to assume termination of loops, but may cause problems for other languages where infinite loops are well defined.

However, infrastructure-wise, it is hard to fix this problem, because FunctionAttrs runs well before the loop canonicalization that would make it easy to determine loop trip counts (even assuming the pass manager were fixed to allow a CGSCC pass to use SCEV in the first place). What we really need here, I suspect, is some attribute indicating C-like termination semantics that can be attached to functions from such languages and will allow us to infer things like readnone without actually doing loop analysis when the semantics of the source language allows it.

 -Hal

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist
Leadership Computing Facility