[LLVMdev] [3.7 Release] We have branched

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:40:50 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> The 3.7 release branch was created from trunk at r242221 today (around
> >> 10:40 pm UTC).
> >>
> >> Branch policy:
> >>
> >> - Any doc changes can go in. Updates to the release notes are highly
> >> encouraged, and should be committed directly to the branch.
> >>
> >> - All other patches should be approved by the release manager (me) and
> >> the appropriate code owner. To get a change merged, commit it to
> >> trunk, and then reply to the commit email with myself and the code
> >> owner cc'd, asking for approval.
> >>
> >> - Fixes to complete existing features may be merged. However, the
> >> features must be completed before Phase II of testing starts,
> >> otherwise they should be disabled. If you recently committed something
> >> experimental to trunk, please make sure it's disabled on the branch.
> >>
> >> - For any bug fixes that you think might apply to the release branch,
> >> please cc me on the commit message.
> >

> > Do we have any official documentation of these bullet points? It might be
> > worth updating http://llvm.org/docs/HowToReleaseLLVM.html with some
> > information to limit the amount of "tribal knowledge" involved in our
> > release process (which has bitten us in the past).
>
> I'm basing them (and the whole release thing, really) on how Bill used
> to do it and the emails he sent out.
>
> I think that corresponds pretty well to what's on the HowToReleaseLLVM
> page under the "Release Timeline" and "Release Patch Rules". Was there
> anything in my email you think is missing from there?

All 4 bullet points. In particular, the information is relevant for LLVM
developers (rather than the release manager). E.g. who to CC and when, the
policy about in-progress features, the policy on doc changes. I understand
that HowToReleaseLLVM is targeted at the release manager; could you drop
those 4 bullet points into a section in
http://llvm.org/docs/DeveloperPolicy.html? That seems like the best place
for developer-targeted development process information.

-- Sean Silva