[LLVMdev] [3.7 Release] We have branched

Hans Wennborg hans at chromium.org
Wed Jul 15 11:18:51 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The 3.7 release branch was created from trunk at r242221 today (around
>> 10:40 pm UTC).
>>
>> Branch policy:
>>
>> - Any doc changes can go in. Updates to the release notes are highly
>> encouraged, and should be committed directly to the branch.
>>
>> - All other patches should be approved by the release manager (me) and
>> the appropriate code owner. To get a change merged, commit it to
>> trunk, and then reply to the commit email with myself and the code
>> owner cc'd, asking for approval.
>>
>> - Fixes to complete existing features may be merged. However, the
>> features must be completed before Phase II of testing starts,
>> otherwise they should be disabled. If you recently committed something
>> experimental to trunk, please make sure it's disabled on the branch.
>>
>> - For any bug fixes that you think might apply to the release branch,
>> please cc me on the commit message.
>

> Do we have any official documentation of these bullet points? It might be
> worth updating http://llvm.org/docs/HowToReleaseLLVM.html with some
> information to limit the amount of "tribal knowledge" involved in our
> release process (which has bitten us in the past).

I'm basing them (and the whole release thing, really) on how Bill used
to do it and the emails he sent out.

I think that corresponds pretty well to what's on the HowToReleaseLLVM
page under the "Release Timeline" and "Release Patch Rules". Was there
anything in my email you think is missing from there?

Thanks,
Hans