[LLVMdev] String attributes for function arguments and return values

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Tue Jul 14 21:42:46 PDT 2015

On 07/14/2015 09:09 PM, Eric Christopher wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 9:01 PM Philip Reames
> <listmail at philipreames.com <mailto:listmail at philipreames.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/14/2015 05:07 PM, Pete Cooper wrote:
>>
>>>     On Jul 14, 2015, at 4:48 PM, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com
>>>     <mailto:rnk at google.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     This sounds more like a use case for metadata. Can we attach
>>>     metadata to function arguments, or does that not work currently?
>>     We can’t, no.
>>
>>     I have an out of tree patch which allows metadata in
>>     AttributeSets.  This would also potentially also work here.
>>
>>     However, depending on the number of unique strings/metadata in
>>     AttributeSets, this could get large.  I don’t think we’ve ever
>>     had more that a few unique AttributeSets in an entire module.  If
>>     you have too many different strings then you could have a
>>     significant number of sets which could get slow.
>>
>>     Metadata attached to the function or the function arguments is
>>     likely to scale better than strings/metadata in the
>>     AttributeSets, but I guess it all depends on whether many are
>>     even needed.
>     As far as I can tell, the string attributes on function parameters
>     is already "supposed to work".  We support it in bytecode.  We
>     even support serialization of the attributes.  It's just the
>     parsing that's broken.  I don't have any problem with an eventual
>     move towards supporting metadata on arguments, but does anyone
>     object to landing the current patches? Whether we believe that the
>     use case motivating the patch is better represented by metadata or
>     not, having the deserialization support seems like a clear
>     improvement.
>
>     As a side note, I can't find any mention of the string attribute
>     functionality in the LangRef or ExtendingLLVM. Seems like it might
>     be time to add something about the capability for extension.  We
>     should probably also *explicitly* reserve the entire namespace of
>     possible keywords for future LLVM in tree enhancements.
>

> So as far as the attribute versus metadata question here I don't have
> a particular care whether or not we support attributes on any
> particular thing in the Value hierarchy. As far as your particular
> case I really only have one question: are the attributes needed for
> correctness or for optimization? If they're the latter they should
> probably be metadata, the former then attributes seem to make the best
> sense.
For the particular use case we have, metadata on arguments would be a
better semantic fit.  It's a pure optimization hint.  Having said that,
attributes work just fine in practice as well.

> Mostly just trying to see about you getting the right fixes in for the
> support you need and the rest of us not having to worry about not
> breaking things that no one cares about :)
Let me restate my previous comment: Having support for custom attributes
on function arguments is generally useful for external users of LLVM.
Whether it is ideal in this particular case is not really relevant.
There are certainly reasonable cases where using a target/environment
specific attribute to effect call lowering makes perfect sense.  It
seems desireable to be able to prototype these quickly so that they can
mature and (possibly) make it upstream.

My view is that we *already* support these attributes.  I don't have an
example user, but it really wouldn't surprise me if folks were using
this functionality already.  Everything works if generated through the
C++ APIs or read from bitcode.  It's only the deserialization parts that
break.  In particular, you can have a working compiler which generates
output which isn't parseable by LLVM's existing tools.  That's not
exactly a good state to be in.