[LLVMdev] GlobalsModRef (and thus LTO) is completely broken

Xinliang David Li xinliangli at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 10:59:29 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 8:19 PM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ok folks,
>
> I wrote up the general high-level thoughts I have about stateful AA in a
> separate thread. But we need to sort out the completely and horribly broken
> aspects of GlobalsModRef today, and the practical steps forward. This email
> is totally about the practical stuff.
>
> Now, as to why I emailed this group of people and with this subject, the
> only pass pipeline that includes GlobalsModRef, is the LTO pipeline. So we
> have significantly less testing here than we do for stuff in the main
> pipeline. Also, I don't have any benchmarks I can effectively run to tell
> me if my changes impacted performance. =/ So I may need your help to
> evaluate some of this. Now, onto the challenges....
>
> First, GlobalsModRef as currently implemented completely abuses a loophole
> in the current pass manager to incorrectly stick around even while it is
> being "invalidated". I don't know of any way to fix this in the current
> pass manager without completely defeating the purpose of the analysis pass.
> The consequence is that whether passes claim to preserve AA or not is
> irrelevant, GlobalsModRef will be preserved anyways! =[[[[ So the only way
> to make things work correctly is to make GlobalsModRef survive *any*
> per-function changes to the IR. We cannot rely on AA updates at all.
>
> Most of the updates that GlobalsModRef needs can be provided by a
> ValueHandle now that we have them. This will prevent ABA-style issues in
> its caches, etc. I plan to send out a patch soon that switches it over to
> this strategy.
>
> It is also relying on a precomputed set of global variables whose address
> is never used by an instruction other than some very small set (gep,
> bitcast) as "non-address-taken". It then runs GetUnderlyingObject on the
> two pointers in alias queries, and if that finds one of these
> "non-address-taken" globals for one of the memory locations but not the
> other, it concludes no-alias! This is broken for a number of reasons.
>
> a) If the two locations merely have a different *depth* of instruction
> stack, because GetUnderlyingObject has a recursion cap, one side can fail
> while the other succeeds, and we erroneously produce no-alias.

How about adding an optional argument to the interface to ignore limit?

> b) If instcombine or any other pass for any reason introduces on one path
> an instruction that GetUnderlyingObject can't look through (select, phi,
> load, ....), we incorrectly conclude no-alias. This is what addEscapingUse
> was intended to solve, but we would literally have to call it from every
> pass because we can't rely on analysis invalidation!

I am not sure if this matters. If a pointer is loaded from the memory, then
either pointer points to heap or the the underlying object is address
taken.  For the phi case, I wonder what transformation can introduce it
while the original source construct does not escape/addr-take the global
already.

> c) If any pass actually escapes a pointer from one function into another,
> we invalidate the underlying assumption of 'non-address-taken' that it
> relies upon.

This can probably happen with function outlining etc.

thanks,

David