[LLVMdev] GlobalsModRef (and thus LTO) is completely broken

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 20:19:36 PDT 2015

Ok folks,

I wrote up the general high-level thoughts I have about stateful AA in a
separate thread. But we need to sort out the completely and horribly broken
aspects of GlobalsModRef today, and the practical steps forward. This email
is totally about the practical stuff.

Now, as to why I emailed this group of people and with this subject, the
only pass pipeline that includes GlobalsModRef, is the LTO pipeline. So we
have significantly less testing here than we do for stuff in the main
pipeline. Also, I don't have any benchmarks I can effectively run to tell
me if my changes impacted performance. =/ So I may need your help to
evaluate some of this. Now, onto the challenges....

First, GlobalsModRef as currently implemented completely abuses a loophole
in the current pass manager to incorrectly stick around even while it is
being "invalidated". I don't know of any way to fix this in the current
pass manager without completely defeating the purpose of the analysis pass.
The consequence is that whether passes claim to preserve AA or not is
irrelevant, GlobalsModRef will be preserved anyways! =[[[[ So the only way
to make things work correctly is to make GlobalsModRef survive *any*
per-function changes to the IR. We cannot rely on AA updates at all.

Most of the updates that GlobalsModRef needs can be provided by a
ValueHandle now that we have them. This will prevent ABA-style issues in
its caches, etc. I plan to send out a patch soon that switches it over to
this strategy.

It is also relying on a precomputed set of global variables whose address
is never used by an instruction other than some very small set (gep,
bitcast) as "non-address-taken". It then runs GetUnderlyingObject on the
two pointers in alias queries, and if that finds one of these
"non-address-taken" globals for one of the memory locations but not the
other, it concludes no-alias! This is broken for a number of reasons.

a) If the two locations merely have a different *depth* of instruction
stack, because GetUnderlyingObject has a recursion cap, one side can fail
while the other succeeds, and we erroneously produce no-alias.

b) If instcombine or any other pass for any reason introduces on one path
an instruction that GetUnderlyingObject can't look through (select, phi,
load, ....), we incorrectly conclude no-alias. This is what addEscapingUse
was intended to solve, but we would literally have to call it from every
pass because we can't rely on analysis invalidation!

c) If any pass actually escapes a pointer from one function into another,
we invalidate the underlying assumption of 'non-address-taken' that it
relies upon.

Now, as I argued in my general AA thread, I think we might be able to
assume that (c) doesn't happen today. But both (a) and (b) seem like active
nightmares to try to fix. I can see hacky ways to avoid (a) where we detect
*why* GetUnderlyingObject fails, but I don't see how to fix both (a) and
(b) (or to fix (a) well) without just disabling this specific aspect of
GloblasModRef.

So that's what I'd like to do. It shouldn't impact the mod/ref information
provided by the analysis, just the alias sets.

However, even this may not be necessary. We may just not in practice see
these issues, and I don't really want to perturb the LTO generated code
quality for a hypothetical issue until we actually have the tools in place
to handle things reasonably.

So my plan is:

1) Fix obvious issues with GloblasModRef and switch it to ValueHandles
2) Mail out a patch to disable this part of GlobalsModRef. I can put it
behind a flag or however folks would like it to work.
3) Remove addEscapingUse() update API, which without #2 may regress some
LTO test case I don't have (because I don't have any other than bootstrap)

Thoughts?
-Chandler