[LLVMdev] Linking tools

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:25:02 PDT 2015

I'm trying to figure out exactly what the function and status of the
different linking tools is. The impression I get is:

1. For linking multiple bitcode (either binary or text format) files
together, llvm-link is the current and future intended tool.

2. For converting bitcode files into (machine code) object files, llc is
the current and future intended tool.

3. For linking multiple object files into an executable, llvm has hitherto
relied on the system linker, but lld is the future intended tool.

Is any of this inaccurate or incomplete?