[LLVMdev] [RFC] New StackMap format proposal (StackMap v2)

Swaroop Sridhar Swaroop.Sridhar at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 9 17:54:48 PDT 2015

My comments are inline.

Swaroop.

From: Andrew Trick [mailto:atrick at apple.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2015 4:36 PM
To: Swaroop Sridhar
Cc: Juergen Ributzka; LLVM Dev; Lang Hames; Phil Pizlo; Philip Reames; Sanjoy Das; Russell Hadley
Subject: Re: [RFC] New StackMap format proposal (StackMap v2)

On Jul 9, 2015, at 3:33 PM, Swaroop Sridhar <Swaroop.Sridhar at microsoft.com<mailto:Swaroop.Sridhar at microsoft.com>> wrote:

Regarding Call-site size specification:

CoreCLR (https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr) requires the size of the Call-instruction to be reported in the GCInfo encoding.

The runtime performs querries for StackMap records using instruction offsets as follows:

1)      Offset at the end of the call instruction (offset of next instruction-1) if the call instruction occurs in code where GC can only take control at safe-points.

As part of this change it would be great if LLVM could now guarantee that the call will be emitted at the end of the patchable space. It currently happens to emit at the beginning, but makes no guarantee. Emitting at the end works better for tracking the return address.

I second emitting the call-instruction at the end of the patch-space.

2)      Offset of the start of the call instruction if the call instruction occurs within a code-range that allows full interruption (that is, all instructions in a range are considered safe-points)

If the JIT requires knowledge of call's encoding, it should probably be emitting the call instruction itself within the patchable space reserved by LLVM.

Note that the patchpoint may include a mov in addition to call, so the patchpoint address is not the same as the call address.

LLVM/statepoint GC does not support option (2), but the CoreCLR’s GC-table Encoding has an interface designed to suite both modes.
void DefineCallSites(UINT32* pCallSites, BYTE* pCallSiteSizes, UINT32 numCallSites)

Therefore, it is helpful to have Call-Site size specified in StackMapRecord.
I agree with Andy, that the call-site size should include all bytes between the start of the call instruction and the start of the next instruction.

I suggested this because we want to support a dynamic callback that determines the patchpoint size (given the set of register arguments), and it would be nice to record that decision within the stack map. This is important information for any code that is responsible for patching because it must patch over all reserved bytes.

The alternative would be for LLVM to emit the call at the end and record just the size of the call instruction encoding. That seems like a silly, x86-specific waste of stackmap space though. The JIT can either do the encoding and keep track of the info, or a small nop+move_immediate decoder can figure it out for all reasonable cases.

I agree here too.  CallSiteSize should record the size of the entire patch-point – to facilitate versatile use of the CallSiteSize field.
Recording just the size of the call-instruction breaks the patchpoint abstraction.

Given the size of the patchpoint, a Jit needing just the Call-Instruction size can do a local decoding as you’ve suggested.

Andy

Thanks,
Swaroop.