[LLVMdev] Strong post-dominance in LLVM?

Philip Pfaffe philip.pfaffe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 04:42:23 PDT 2015

Hi James, Bjarke,

> Forgive my naivety, but wouldn't that involve solving the halting problem?
>
> Strong post-dominance does not state anything about the termination of
loops. If A strongly post-dominates B, then A is executed iff B is
executed. The inverse is not true, however. So if A doesn't strongly
post-dominates B, A may or may not be executed after B. I.e., to prove
strong post-dominance between A and B, you need to prove termination of all
loops along the paths from B to A.

Do we have anything in LLVM for determining strong post-dominance and in
>> general for guaranteeing that if B is executed, then A will also be
>> executed?
>>
>> To my knowledge, this feature is currently not available.

Best,
Philip