[LLVMdev] Help with using LLVM to re-compile hot functions at run-time

Revital1 Eres ERES at il.ibm.com
Thu Jul 9 04:19:43 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am new to LLVM and a I appreciate your help with the following:

I want to run the LLVM IR through virtual machine (LLVM interpreter?) and
jit
compile the hot functions (using MCJIT).

This task will require amongst other identifying the hot functions and
having a
code cache that should be patched with the native code of the functions
after
they are jitted.

I've read so far about MCJIT and lli however I have not seen that the LLVM

interpreter can be used as a VM the way I was looking for; meaning
execute the code one instruction at a time; have a profiling mode to
identify hot functions and call jit to compile the hot functions.

I appreciate any advice/starting points for this project.

Thanks,
Revital