[LLVMdev] vectorize a def-use chain

Quentin Colombet qcolombet at apple.com
Wed Jul 8 15:46:11 PDT 2015

Hi Frank,

I’m assuming you are widening the loads for you vectorization, so what I would do is something like that:

Step #1: Widen the load and extract:
vec_load0       load1
|                           |
extract_element /
 \                       /
  \                    /
   add/sub/mul

  store

Step #2: Do the same for the second load.
vec_load0         vec_load1
|                           |
extract_element  extract_element
 \                        /
  \                     /
   add/sub/mul

  store

Step #3: Promote the arithmetic operation to a vector one (mutate type).
vec_load0         vec_load1
 \                        /
  \                     /
   vec_add/sub/mul

extract_element

  store

Step #4: Promote the store and get rid of the extract.
vec_load0         vec_load1
 \                        /
  \                     /
   vec_add/sub/mul

  vec_store

Note: There is a class to help promoting scalar operation to vector operation in codegen prepare. It was designed to reusable, so check it out and see it helps we could move its implementation elsewhere.

> On Jul 8, 2015, at 3:18 PM, Frank Winter <fwinter at jlab.org> wrote:
>
> I'd like to replace scalar instructions with vector instructions such that the code corresponding to following tree would be vectorized:
>
> load0  load1
>  \     /
>   \   /
>    add/sub/mul
>   store
>
> I had unsuccessful encounters with load0->replaceAllUsesWith(vec_load0) complaining about mismatching type (makes sense, add's other operand is still scalar at that time..)
>
> Is the only way to create a vectorized version of this tree by
>
> 1) creating the vector loads vec_load0 AND vec_load1
> 2) retrieving the opcode of the arithmetic instruction and create a new one according to the opcode
>
> How is step 2) in done practice?

What we did in codegen prepare is that we create a new operation (e.g., extract_element undef), that we use to replace all the users of the initial operation, then we mutate the type of the initial operation, and that use it in the new operation (e.g., extract_element undef becomes extract_element vec_op).

Cheers,
-Quentin