[LLVMdev] Why change "sub x, 5" to "add x, -5" ?

Krzysztof Parzyszek kparzysz at codeaurora.org
Wed Jul 8 08:10:53 PDT 2015

Other people can elaborate on that, but the general idea is to transform
functionally equivalent programs into the same internal representation.
  In this case, the desired representation is "add-immediate" for
instructions that are equivalent to it.

Target-specific selection patterns can deal with it by having predicates
that accept or reject the pattern depending on specific values in the
DAG: in case of your ISA they could reject the "add" pattern in favor of
the "sub" pattern when the immediate is negative.

-Krzysztof

On 7/8/2015 10:00 AM, Frédéric Heitzmann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have been working on a new LLVM backend. Some instructions, like sub,
> can take an positive constante, encoded into 5 bits thus lower than 32,
> and a register, as operands.
> Unfortunately, DAGCombiner.cpp changes patterns like 'sub x, 5' into
> 'add x,-5'.
>
> Similarly, I found changes in some IR to IR passes, with no clear gain
> (at least not clear to me), and even penalty for my specific ISA.
>
> %add = add i32 %a, %b
> %tobool = icmp eq i32 %add, 0
>
> becomes :
>
> %add = sub i32 0, %b
> %tobool = icmp eq i32 %a, %
>
> My question is not how to workaround those, but why such changes are
> done for all targets, in DAG selection or in IR passes.
> AFAIK, there is no target which has some better encoding with a negative
> value than with a positive one.
> And "sub" looks as costly as "add" to me.
>
> Is there some other practical reason to perform this kind of change ?
> Thanks for your highlights.
>
> --
> Frederic Heitzmann

hosted by The Linux Foundation