[LLVMdev] LLVM parsers for popular languages? - Python, Rust, Go

Kevin Modzelewski kevmod at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 16:58:38 PDT 2015

Yep we have our own parser <https://github.com/vinzenz/libpypa/> and we
would love to see other people use it.  When we looked around at some other
Python parsers we didn't feel like any of them were easy to extract and use
on their own, so we wrote our own and I think were able to keep ours
well-separated.  There are some things that make parsing Python somewhat
difficult to do in a fully project-agnostic way: any syntax errors usually
get thrown as user-level exceptions, you probably don't want to encode the
full set of unicode character names into your parser to handle u"\N{POUND
SIGN}", and the parser has to support calling back into Python code for
supporting custom encodings requested via "# coding" lines.

I think we've done a decent job factoring those things out (they get
provided by your project via callbacks), but you do have to provide those
features or avoid parsing code that would need them.  If you can get the
job done by working in Python using the ast module, I would recommend that.